Travel updates part II: 6 days until departure
- Behind on my research about each city, so far have thought in-depth only about London. Want to limit planning as much as possible to be on-the-go, over-thinking it seems counterintuitive.
- Frustrated that farms in France I’ve contacted for WWOOF-ing are very slow to respond via email (or not at all), will likely start to call them by phone via Skype.
- Vegan ice cream from Gelato places in Madrid and Italy? It already sounds easier to eat vegan in Europe. There are over 100 vegetarian restaurants in London, for example. I can count the vegetarian restaurants in my city on two hands! My hypothesis (yet to be tested), is that I will find Europe more veg-friendly than my hometown.
- Bazu posts about her trip to Paris, eating as a vegan with mostly homecooked meals - restaurants were too expensive. Feeling better about staying in Paris when I see her photos of beautiful fruits and vegetables from markets and falafels loaded with lots of veggies that look delicious. Also, she points out: “Produce was relatively affordable, especially considering that in the E.U. GMOs and certain pesticides are banned, thus making everyday fruit practically the equivalent of what we would pay a premium for as organic.”
- Shopping for my trip and packing is a seemingly never-ending process - but I can see the finish line. Have comfortable and nice clothing I can’t wait to wear (PJ pants that double as comfy train/plane pants), as well as a spanky new watch with two time zones. Hopefully I can finish getting all supplies by Saturday, and hope to be fully packed 2 days in advance so I can relax and prepare for deathly jet lag.
- Plan to blog about once a week, and will be using Skype to talk to J while on the go. Will be updating Flickr the most often, likely on a daily basis if I have accessible internet access.
- Still waiting to hear back from grad schools! Hope to find out by Friday where I am going to be living in September.